How to Apply
The University of Notre Dame offers three secure online applications for first year applicants:
- Common Application at commonapp.org.
- Coalition Application at coalitionforcollegeaccess.org.
- Questbridge Application at questbridge.org (QuestBridge applicants are not required to submit the Common Application or Coalition Application.)
Please note that after your application is submitted electronically, letters of recommendation and transcripts can still be sent to complete your application.
We require applicants to submit the Notre Dame Writing Supplement in addition to the Common Application or Coalition Application. This form is available to registrants of either website and is submitted separately after the application. It must be submitted online.
The writing supplement gives us an opportunity to get to know you in a more personal way outside of your stats. So, let your personality shine, take risks, and remember that there is no right answer.
Note: This year's Writing Supplement questions coming soon. Keep an eye on this page for updates.
The University of Notre Dame Writing Supplement consists of one (1) essay response to a required question and two (2) essay responses to questions you select from a list of options provided. In total, you will write three (3) essay responses. The word count is a maximum of 200 words per essay.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions must have all of the following items before beginning application review:
- Your application, submitted via the Common Application or Coalition Application website.
- The Notre Dame Writing Supplement, submitted via the Common Application or Coalition Application.
- Official high school transcripts or record of academic achievement in secondary school
- A letter of evaluation from a high school teacher in a core academic subject area who knows you well
- Counselor evaluation (recommended, not required)
- Optional: Results of your ACT or SAT assessment scores - Notre Dame is test-optional for 2020. Students may choose whether or not to include test scores when submitting their applications. Learn more about the test-optional program.
- A non-refundable application fee of $75
NOTE: If you are an international student, please visit the International Admissions pages for additional instructions and information.
Submit the online version of the Common Application (with the Notre Dame Writing Supplement) or the Coalition Application (the writing supplement is included within the application) no later than November 1 for Restrictive Early Action or January 1 for Regular Decision.
We reserve the right to make a decision on your application based on the materials that we receive. Be sure to pay careful attention to your applicant status portal and monitor your email as well. We send regular communications to students with incomplete applications.
Note that we will continue to accept required supplemental application materials past the application deadline (i.e., letters of recommendation, test scores), but encourage students to submit documents as soon as possible so that we may take all important information into consideration during our review.
Don't Lose These Dates
Print them off, mark your calendars, set reminders on your devices.
- Applications Available: August 1
- Restrictive Early Action: November 1
- Regular Decision: January 1
- Priority Deadline to Apply for Financial Aid: February 15
- Confirmation Deadline: May 1