Notre Dame seeks to admit a small number of extraordinary transfer students each year who will enhance the University through their involvement, passions, care for others, and demonstrated academic excellence. Each year, we receive approximately 800 fall semester transfer applications for 75 transfer openings, and we receive close to 100 transfer applications for 5 -10 spots in the spring.
To present a competitive application, you must have:
- Completed and earned a ‘B’ or better in math, natural science, and English composition courses required by your prospective college. (Please note: online and distance-learning courses are not transferable).
- A competitive college GPA (In recent years, the average GPA for admitted students is 3.75 or higher.)
- Outstanding high school academics, including SAT or ACT scores.
- 27 transferable credits and a minimum of one year of college at a four-year accredited institution. Dual-enrollment courses do not count towards this minimum.
- A well-crafted personal statement explaining your interest in Notre Dame, your academic and professional goals, and how transferring to Notre Dame can help you achieve them.
Dates and Deadlines
- Fall semester transfer application deadline: March 15.
- Students are notified between June 1 and July 1.
- Spring semester transfer application deadline: October 1.
- Students are notified between December 15 and January 5.
A list of required materials and instructions can be found under Timeline & Instructions.
Open spots in individual programs vary from year to year. Some of our most popular majors like Neuroscience and Behavior, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Business Analytics, and Finance have very limited availability in a given year. If you choose to apply to one of these programs, it is strongly recommended that you indicate an alternate intent on your application.
The following programs are not open to transfer students for the foreseeable future:
- Science Business
- Chemistry Business
- Mathematics Business concentration
- Actuary Minor
To learn more about each of the colleges, explore their websites:
- The School of Architecture
- The College of Arts and Letters
- The College of Engineering
- The College of Science
- The Mendoza College of Business
To learn more about what classes you need to take for your intended major, please view our required courses. It is imperative that you have the prerequisites needed for your intended course of study. When deciding what other classes to take, we recommend aligning your course selection with Notre Dame’s Core Curriculum. Regardless of major, you should prioritize taking one or two math classes, at least one natural science class, and an English composition class. Course requirements vary by college and major.
Beyond the Classroom
Your days will not just be spent in the classroom, but as a member of a vibrant campus community. Learn more about student life, housing, Welcome Weekend, financial aid, and frequently asked questions. We also have additional information for international transfer students.
If you have any remaining questions after reviewing the transfer website, please email email@example.com. Missing materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, date of birth, and application ID number.